Serves 4, (2 cups per serving)
1, 4 lb butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoons salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
½ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon white truffle oil , divided
4 teaspoons raw pepitas, divided, optional
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place both of the butternut squash halves, face up, on the baking sheet and drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil onto each half and rub the oil all over the inside to fully coat. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of salt onto each half.
- Turn the squash face down and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large pot, over medium-low heat, add the remaining olive oil. Add the chopped onion, smashed garlic, remaining salt, and nutmeg. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly, remove the skin and discard.
- Set the pot on very low heat; add the squash, and pour in the vegetable broth. Using an immersion blender, blend until a nice puree forms.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Drizzle and stir in ¼ teaspoon truffle oil into each bowl. Top each bowl with 1 teaspoon pepitas for a nice crunchy addition.